[sclug] sclug Digest, Vol 58, Issue 7

Ed Davies sclug at edavies.nildram.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 08:55:31 UTC 2008

n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com wrote:
> I've done that and this is the result:
>
> root at study:/home/neil# echo +OK | netcat -l -v -v -p 110
> listening on [any] 110 ...
> connect to [127.0.0.1] from localhost [127.0.0.1] 41877
> AUTH
>

> meanwhile TB reports that it is connected to 127.0.0.1 - then a long pause
> until TB times out. So, no further I think, but I'm open to more
> suggestions. Does 'AUTH' tell us anything?

Interesting that it sends "AUTH" when my Thunderbird (2.0.0.4)
sends "CAPA".  Neither of these commands are standard POP3
(pure RFC 1939).  AUTH is defined in RFC 1734 and should have
a string parameter which identifies an IMAP4 authentication
mechanism (whatever that is) so it's a bit odd that yours
doesn't.  Beyond that I've no idea.

Perhaps you could try replying -ERR to the AUTH command and
see what happens.  My guess would be that you'd get a CAPA
or USER command next.

Did you try creating a new account for your main server?  I'm
wondering if the IMAP4 stuff got messed up somehow (e.g.,
switched to the wrong authentication mechanism) and the mess
has been held over when you switched back to POP3 hence the
AUTH rather than CAPA command.

Ed.