[sclug] mail setup: getmail, dovecot - and exim?

Martin Meredith martin at sourceguru.net
Sun Jun 1 21:33:52 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-01 at 13:39 +0100, John Stumbles wrote:
> Martin Meredith wrote:
> > I'd highly suggest that you have seperate mailboxes at the ISPs end for
> > doing this. It makes life so much easier!
>
> Not really: I want to be able to filter on rexeps e.g. [jim|james|jamie]
> [and.*] (andy/andrew) etc. Even if my current ISP let me do this it's
> non-portable between ISPs. Plus I need to have each user getmail-ing the
> ISP for their own email.
>
> The way I've got it set up now I just have home-mailserver-box
> getmailing the ISP and delivering to local users - as if I were running
> a pukka mailhost on my home box.

?I could never do that myself. It's too much of a pain in the ass. I
could never route email simply based on a regex...

Is it not possible to use gmail as something like that - set your domain
to forward to an individual Account per user, and then have your home
box poll from that?

Also, fetchmail can do multiple accounts, I'm not too sure but I think
that if you did something like having multiple "user x there is user x
here, user y there is user y here" it'd only need one user to poll the
mail.