[sclug] Looks like volunteering linux boxes to schools is now criminal offense

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Wed Jun 4 22:24:57 UTC 2008

Another great off topic SCLUG thread about laws, privacy etc and nothing
to do with linux, this place is starting to look like the reg all over...

<drunken rant>
CRB check is very easy to pass if you are a criminal as has been proved
in many cases, spell your name wrong or put your wrong address. They
have no secondary authentication, they simply look to see if you give
them a direct hit against there evil list voluntarily. They have started
to ask for extra info but I know of a case in Berkshire were this was
all faked and they passed and only when they commited crime did someone
who knew them tell the police they had been in jail in past for similar
(needless to say, that was not what the newspaper article said, but most
non-brainwashed people know how much newspapers love to copy police
release as a story without investigation because it's cheap and easy)

As with most of these things it's all about FUD and looking like you are
doing something responisble (or is it descision makers asking for a
system to be made and not realising it's in-accuracy through lack of
scientific reasoning). Any half brained scientist will tell you the
current system of recording people who have done wrong and checking
against it is fundamentally flawed (and i am talking about commercial
thieves getting a job every 3 months, tax evaders opening new ltd from
new address everytime they bankrupt, lieing to get a job then slacking
and getting fired and repeat, illegal immigrants returning, banned
copying legal drivers numberplate, collecting benefit in 10 names,
avoiding court as you took out loan in mis spelled name etc) (those are
all real examples)

This is the point were you will all hate me:

The ONLY way to make CRB check effective is a national unified
computerised ID system backed by biometric data (for verification and to
avoid duplicates) for all people in the country for any length of time
whatsoever. How else can you get around liars, typos and people with
alot of address.

I think the fundamental reason people don't like ID card systems is
because they have spent so long listening to FUD they have no faith in
an ID system to be run in a scientificly admirable manor. The truth is
we can no longer just use name, address and dob etc to verify id as
criminals have smartened up to it's weakness's about 40 years ago....and
we let so many people in to country without recording it we can't refuse
people we can't find on any database.

The solution is to replace parliament with scientist with no financial
or politcal motivation to decide logially on best solutions. Then people
can trust in there motives and descisions and will take ID cards
overnight to reduce crime be making sure you can't take a new id when
you feel like it to get away from your past.

if anyone wants to discuss proper ways to implement such a system ( not
the crap flawed ideas the current gov have come up with that scare
people) i will be in my bunker 100ft underground (not on the wokingham
road though, otherwise I would be too close to the dumped BP
experimental reactor at that depth)
</drunken rant>

TCA