[sclug] spare Linux HDD?

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Jun 11 19:27:31 UTC 2008

Ian Park wrote:
[...]
> I can confirm that 4GB is adequate for a stock install of Ubuntu Hardy
> Heron; I put it on to the 4GB flash drive of an Asus Eee with no problem
> (I split out /home to a separate 4GB MMC card in the expansion slot).

Yeah, I've done that as well. It works quite nicely. I'm still looking
forward to the Netbook Remix, though...

Just a small warning: the SD card reader on the eee is not SDHC
certified and is out-of-spec. If you're using certain SDHC cards, you'll
get random write errors on certain duty cycles --- mke2fs triggers mine,
thank god, so it's easy to check for. This doesn't affect plain SD cards.

(Some 4GB SDHC cards are actually out-of-spec SD cards. I don't know if
they're affected.)

(Is that *really* a 4GB MMC card (7 pins), or an SD card (9 pins)? If
so, *where did you get it*?)

--
? "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my