[sclug] Ubuntu Automount + Eee PC 901

Matthew Cox spudgun79 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 22:25:16 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions and wondered if any one would be able to help.

1) Ubuntu Automount

I have a laptop which runs Vista (my wife isn't quite ready for the Linux
experience) and I have an entry in the fstab of my Ubuntu machine to mount
the laptop's hard drive across the network via cifs.  This works great,
however I get nasty messages on shutdown if the laptop is shut down before
the Ubuntu machine.  Its not the end of the world, but its annoying.
Ideally what I would like to achieve is a setup similar to something that
has been setup at work on our Solaris boxes where a remote partition only
physically mounts when you access it.  If it is not accessed for a period of
time it then 'unmounts'.  I have tried googling on a few occasions and have
so far only found things which describe what I have already done in fstab.
For all I know I could be using the wrong search terms!

Is what I am trying to do possible with Ubuntu/<enter distro name here>?

2)  Eee PC 901

I've got my eye on an Eee PC 901 (probably the 20GB SSD version), since they
are so small and light to carry around.  I travel a little bit and I'm
currently working on a home web project and would like to be able to do some
of this on the move.  I was just wondering if it is capable running an
instance of Apache and MySQL, just for dev purposes of course.  An IDE would
be good too, but Gedit will do.

I know a few of the SCLUG people have them judging by the meet-ups! ;)

Cheers,

Matt.