[sclug] Problem with CD drives after rebuild

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 12 11:01:32 UTC 2009

Tom,

Thanks for thoughts. I've made some progress:

1. One of the drives is a CD writer and I was trying to mount a DVD, I've
realised (Doh!). That offers an explanation why the CD drive wouldn't mount
but not why the DVD drive won't. I feel a bit of a fool not seeing the wood
for the trees and all that, but it isn't the root problem.
2. I have disconnected each of the drives in turn. At boot the BIOS
correctly recognises them as master or slave (respectively), and whichever
one is connected will automount a CD (and /dev/hdc, which is the DVD drive,
will also automount a DVD). It seems therefore that the problem arises when
they are both connected. Perhaps my only recourse now is to replace the
cable when I can scrounge one to try out. If that solves the problem I know
what I have to do. If not.....

Regards,

Neil.