[sclug] I have an idea

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 26 09:15:28 UTC 2009

I was reading the other day about various tools to properly delete files
from a system (ie not just mark as deleted, but genuinely obliterate all
traces from the storage device).

It occurred to me that Linux, being the versatile marvel that it is ( :-) )
should be able to wire itself up using some form of redirection or something
like that such that any delete operation invoked one of these tools instead
of doing the conventional delete operation.

Is that possible? I suspect that if it is the kernel or filesystem doing the
actual file delete operation I might be of of luck, but there's always a
chance that someone cleverer than me has worked out how to do it.

TIA

Neil Haughton.