[sclug] I have an idea

Bob Dunlop bob.dunlop at xyzzy.org.uk
Sun Apr 26 10:37:22 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Apr 26 at 10:15, Neil Haughton wrote:
> I was reading the other day about various tools to properly delete files
> from a system (ie not just mark as deleted, but genuinely obliterate all
> traces from the storage device).

I'm sure we can debate until the cows come home as to whether such a
feature would be useful.

> Is that possible? I suspect that if it is the kernel or filesystem doing the
> actual file delete operation I might be of of luck, but there's always a
> chance that someone cleverer than me has worked out how to do it.

Easy, done similar tricks before.  Use a preload library to override the
unlink system call and relatives with your own fancier routines.  Similar
to the way the fakeroot command convinces applications that they are root.
That will work with any non-journalling file system and 99% of applications.

--
        Bob Dunlop