[sclug] udev inconsistency

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Feb 28 08:17:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:29:00PM +0000, Darren Davison wrote:
> using Ubuntu 8.10, one of my USB devices (a music player with UMS) used
> to "do the right thing" when plugged in.. devices created, filesystem
> mounted with correct permissions, nautilus window open etc.

> Recently, it's decided not to bother any more.   When I plug the device
> in, I see the following in dmesg output;
[..]
> [557042.578297] sd 26:0:0:0: [sde] Attached SCSI removable disk
> and /dev/sde is created as it suggests.  But that's where the action
> seems to stop.  No creation of a directory (it used to use
> /media/music) or automounting occurs.

> I can also see that my device (the TrekStor) is known to a couple of
> udev scripts, but there is no mention of the device in /etc/fstab.  As a
> test, I tried adding a line to fstab by UUID (obtained from the blkid
> command while it was connected[1]) but that seemed to make no difference
> either, and I'm sure I never had that in there before when it was
> working.

The way it should work is something a bit like:
* User plugs something in
* Kernel notices and tells udev
* Udev does some magic like potentially loading modules and creates a
  device node and applies any udev rules
* udev tells hal
* I think hal then notifies your file manager/volume manager (nautilus +
  gnome-volume+manager, thunar+thunar-volman etc) over dbus.
* Your volume manager triggers hal to see if it can load it and probably
  does things like put a little icon on the desktop for the device.
* It mostly also requests that the device be mounted
* hal has rules that should end up meaning something along the lines of:
	if this user is at the console (or sometimes, in this group)
	then they are allowed to mount local storage
* hal creates the directory and mounts it
* hal tells the file manager that it's mounted it
* The file manager pops up a window on that directory showing the
  contents.

I /think/ that's about right.

Gnome has a gnome-volume-manager I think.  Is that installed?  And
nautilus?  And running and happy?

Are all of udev/hal/dbus happily running?

Got any X errors in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or ~/.xsession-errors ?

--
 ,--huggie-at-earth-dot-li--------stuff-thing-stuff----------DF5CE2B4--.
_|   "You speak German?" "Oh, German!  I thought there was something   |_