[sclug] Debian 5.0.1 & xorg

Phillip Chandler phillip.chandler at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 8 20:07:39 UTC 2009

Hi All

Ive now installed Debian 5.0.1 I used to have problems before from xorg
crashing.

I read one post on the Ubuntu forums about intel 915 that said having
the display as 24 colours instead of 32 would solve the problem under
Ubuntu, as the 915 didnt like 32bit colour depth.

Your all probably asking what that has to do with Debian. Well so am I,
but heres the theory. As Ubuntu is based on Debian Im thinking that the
same fault with Ubuntu could work under Debian as Ubuntu is a fork of
Debian, so thats the idea.

But I took a look at my xorg.conf and its completely blank. But read
somewhere else that xorg has been replaced with randr, but Ive no idea
where the randr config files are stored, and the man pages are too over
my head.

So my technical question is : Where would I find the randr file that
replaces xorg, or is there a gui that runs under Debian 5 Gnome ?

Thanks
Phillip