[sclug] Debian 5.0.1 & xorg

Ed Davies sclug at edavies.nildram.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 09:57:29 UTC 2009

Alex Butcher wrote:
> Anyway, the long and short of it is that if you create an xorg.conf, Xorg
> will use it. ...

I'm not convinced.  Here's the whole of my Ubuntu 9.04 xorg.conf:

> # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
> #
> # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
> # values from the debconf database.
> #
> # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
> # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
> #
> # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
> # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
> # package.
> #
> # Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
> # in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
> # here are ignored.
> #
> # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
> # again, run the following command:
> #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
>
> Section "Device"
>     Identifier  "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>     Identifier  "Configured Monitor"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>     Identifier  "Default Screen"
>     Monitor     "Configured Monitor"
>     Device      "Configured Video Device"
> EndSection

Note: "...and settings here are ignored."

That's a bit of a shock.  Never really got my head round xorg.conf
files but I'm not sure I like the idea of the information in them
just disappearing without a hint as to where it's gone.

Ed.