[sclug] Googlemail as default mail app in Ubuntu 9.04

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Tue Oct 6 18:32:33 UTC 2009

Does anyone know how to set up 'Preferred Applications' such that googlemail
is my preferred email client? ie, when I click on a mailto: link in a
Firefox page, it opens a new tab or window with googlemail in it. I've tried
setting the preferred mail client to Custom with a command of
*/usr/lib/firefox/firefox
"http://mail.google.com"* but nothing happens. The default tries to open
Evolution, which is no good to me.

Is what I am trying to achieve possible? I would ideally like it to open a
browser tab on googlemail's sign on screen, or better still log in for me so
I need only click on Compose.

TIA

Neil.