[sclug] Ubuntu issues

Pieter Claassen pieter at claassen.co.uk
Wed Oct 7 06:50:30 UTC 2009

I have just upgraded to 9.10 and am very happy. I have an ATI Radeon 4850
and have had the world's problems with it (so much for the Nvidia/ATI
debate). However, the latest open source drivers with 9.10 works pretty well
with the card (better that the closed source driver for my config).

A general issue with Ubuntu for me is that they are doing a lot of things in
a 'new' way. For example, network configuration is done using a
NetworkManager(?) and even though /etc/network/interfaces still works. Using
it stops NetworkManager from doing its job properly and consequently you
have issues like dns not always working (/etc/resolv.conf empty) and no
obvious way to configure it etc. This "ambition" creep of distros that want
to take over the world (never mind the desktop) results in an ongoing
"learning-curve-challenge" because documentation is normally way behind the
curve (and anyhow, I mostly want to use Linux to do my job, not read
documentation when my network stops working).

--
Pieter Claassen
musmato.com