[sclug] sclug Digest, Vol 73, Issue 5

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 7 12:24:59 UTC 2009

> A general issue with Ubuntu for me is that they are doing a lot of things
> in
> a 'new' way. ...
>

> --
> Pieter Claassen
> musmato.com

documentation about the important changes either. As fast as I learn how to
do things, Canonical seem to introduce some 'new' layer that turns
everything on top of its head. For example my printer used to be at
/dev/usb/lp0, and was easy to track down after a little thought. Now there's
some whole new usb system in place which has so far defeated me - I haven't
a clue which device file represents the printer. The old 'Hardware Manager'
tool has been removed and AFAIK not replaced, so I can't even fall back on
that for help. IDE drives used to be simple, the classic hda, hdb etc. Now
there's some scsii interface in the way so they are sda, sdb etc. That's no
big deal (once the penny's dropped) but the scsii layer apparently breaks
'older' CD drives if they don't have the 'right' cable. The point,
Canonical, being what?

And so it goes on. I'll give Windows one thing (and only this one thing,
mind you) - it's somewhat more consistent in the way you do things. Even
with MS's rampant upgrade treadwheel, new things come in but old things
don't seem to change much.

Oh well, perhaps 8.04 will get me back to a system I can just, erm, use.

Neil.