[sclug] OT: convert rail tracks to tarmac for private coach network which saves billions and provides a better service!

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Thu Sep 10 10:00:36 UTC 2009

oh dear this is very dis-appointing.

I was hoping people on a technical mailing list would be interested in
discussing the technical aspects of the idea (cost, capacity, efficiency
etc) but you seem to have provided quotes of lots of mud slinging with
no facts, figures or logical analysis of his proposal.... how useful

the last quote from Nigel Harris about needing to rebuild bridges is
almost technical but as it provides no figures, just guess work, it
turns out it's actually wrong. figures about widths of tracks can be
found on fact sheet 3

http://www.transport-watch.co.uk/transport-fact-sheet-3.htm

now does any one have any technical challenges to the idea or are we all
in agreement we should be spending our massive rail subsidy budget on
tarmac instead of wasting ?34billion on the new north south line (which
is more than double the cost of replacing every metal rail in the UK
with road)

TCA