[sclug] OT: convert rail tracks to tarmac for private coach network which saves billions and provides a better service!

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Thu Sep 10 16:19:03 UTC 2009

> Thing is, like discs and memory, roads are either obsolete, new, or
> full. :-)
>
> Anyway, my point really was that rail and roads (should) solve different
> types of problems and you probably want both. The rest is just a simple
> matter of getting people to use the right method, rather than petulantly
> whining "but I want good, fast AND cheap!"
>
> I doubt we'll ever judge that >100mph road-type mass transit to be safe
> enough, as a society. Likewise, we'll never get literal-door-to-door
> rail.
>
> Best Regards,
> Alex

I totally agree with you. We do want both unmanaged public lane system
and a private managed lane system. I am suggesting changing the
technology used to contact the ground the private managed system to a
more efficient one, not to mix the two systems. It would still be
centrally managed scheduled services, just more frequent smaller
vehicles that are alot cheaper and have the capacity to expand 5 fold
should people choose not to drive (at the moment we can't put more
trains on because capacity has already been reached, so everyone just
puts up with standing which makes trains seem un-attractive to commuters)