[sclug] OT: convert rail tracks to tarmac for private coach network which saves billions and provides a better service!

Tom Carbert-Allen tom at randominter.net
Thu Sep 10 21:18:06 UTC 2009

Keith Edmunds wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:21:36 +0100, tom at randominter.net said:
>

>> The government tells us that 80% of all train journeys are less than 30
>> miles though, so I doubt the top speed comes into it much
>>

> Maybe 80% of all train journeys are less that 30 miles *because* the top
> speed is not that high. Once the high speed line from London to Scotland
> is open, maybe the percentage of journeys less than 30 miles will
> decrease, although I'd expect it to remain reasonably high as commuters
> will make up a significant proportion of that 80%.
>
> Incidentally, Tom, you might want to read
> http://www.ehow.com/how_4771360_use-apostrophes-not-use.html

Although despite costing 34 billion pounds the capacity of the line
won't be able to carry more than 20% of the current number of passengers
which travel this route every year! So the other people trying to get
north and south will have to stick to there cars or planes. If it could
support 100% of the travellers, with room for future expansion and cost
two or three billion then it would be a good idea. As it is every tax
payer is paying for a line which isn't big enough to carry them on!

As for the punctuation, I suppose you are right, but it really isn't
that high on my list of priorities.

TCA