[sclug] [bristol] OT: Two weeks with the HTC Hero and Android OS

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Feb 12 18:57:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Dan Slinky wrote:

> On 12 February 2010 15:01, Alex Butcher <lug at assursys.co.uk> wrote:
>> ..HERO pros/cons..
>
> It also doesn't seem possible to separate mail and SMS notification
> sounds, which is a bugger. I'd like to get away from my Blackberry
> altogether but the HTC is unlikely to wake up at 3am when a DB goes up
> its own arse.

You can have separate notification sounds!

HTC Mail uses the default notification sound, configured by
MENU->Settings->Sound & display->Notification sound.

The Google Mail app has its own notification sound, configured by Google
Mail->MENU->Settings->Select ringtone.

Similarly, SMS messages use the Messages app notification sound, configured
by Messages->MENU->Settings->Select sound.

Other applications can similarly have their own notification sounds. I
thought this was going to be a pain for me, as I don't want my SMS tone
going off for every email, but I do miss SMS messages without it (it's the
old Nokia Morse-code-for-SMS which seems to have burned itself into my
brain, alongside the bit that recognises my name in conversation!)

> -S

HTH,
Alex