[sclug] OT: Two weeks with the HTC Hero and Android OS

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Feb 13 21:49:25 UTC 2010

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Alex Butcher wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010, Keith Edmunds wrote:
>> I'll put together some more comments based on my experience with the Hero
>> later, but one comment:
>>
>>> No automatic retry for sending SMS.
>>
>> Try Handcent SMS - that does retries, and also shows icons for a)
>> successfully sent and b) received by recipient.
>
> Aha! I hadn't found any particular problem with the default SMS message app,
> and so was somewhat baffled why Handcent was so popular!

No luck, I'm afraid. In my home, the normal state of affairs is no signal
whatsoever, but occasionally one or two bars for a few tens of seconds at a
time.  I suspect Handcent sets a time-based alarm and misses the odd bursts
of signal.  I gather Chomp SMS does a better job, so I'm giving that a
whirl; hopefully, it sets an alarm based on signal strength, if that's even
possible.

OTOH, Handcent had more features than the standard SMS 'Messages' app. :-)

>> Keith
> Alex

Best Regards,
Alex.