[sclug] Debian/firefox issue

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 4 20:04:01 UTC 2010

Is there a Debian person out there who can advise?

I have recently replaced Ubuntu with Debian Lenny. My wife doesn't like the
default Iceweasel so I replaced it with Firefox 3.6. I did this by
downloading the deb installer from Firefox and using the command dpkg -i
<firefox....bz file> as root. I setup symlinks from the firefox plugins
folder to the mozilla/plugins folder. Then I downloaded and installed the
adobe flash plugin (the deb package) the same way. As root.

Firefox generally works fine but there is an issue with the flash plugin.
The issue is this:

We have separate Gnome login accounts. If I login as myself, the adobe flash
player plugin works seamlessly. That is to say anything on the page that
requires flash "just works". However if my wife logs in to Gnome as herself,
a page displayed in Firefox that requires the flash plugin does not work as
expected. Some sites show a large arrow to click, the BBC complains that the
plugin is incorrect. About:plugins lists the same flash plugins in both
cases.

Given that I installed Firefox as root, I am perplexed at this. Does anyone
out there know what is going on?

TIA

Neil.