[sclug] MariaDB client licence - other than viral-GPL

Graham Swallow lists at information-cascade.co.uk
Thu Mar 11 13:06:32 UTC 2010

As I mentioned yesterday, there is an opportunity for someone
to reimplement libmysqlclient.so, (probably without api change).

The reason, is to allow 'commerical' programs, client use of the DBMS (over
TCP),
without there being any doubt (in the customers mind) that
Oracle will knock on the door, asking for license fees.

Personally, I figure I could use (XDR ASN1 or google-protocolbufs) to a
proxy,
and dedicate the remaining 5 spare months to work on a musical toy
bouncing-ball-over-the-drum-pattern thing (If I had 6 spare months in the
first place).

And just because I think it is shameful that after 15 years of INTENTIONALLY
protecting MySQL revenues with a (DUAL) GPL-only-client, they do not have a
clear policy
to remove that obstacle, and still ask us to petition the european
parliaments
to overrule property law, invoke anti-competitive-rules, and protect their
company,
(claiming to be safe custodians, for the publics benefit), etc, etc, ...
Just because I dont want to, it doesnt mean that some else wouldnt
be happy to actually do that, and make it better.

So if you know a C programmer, who is interested in DB,
see attachment

Graham