[sclug] Firefox java plugin bovva on Debian Lenny

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 28 17:48:42 UTC 2010

Help!

I'm having bother getting the java plugin to work with Firefox 3.6 on Lenny.
Can anyone advise?

I've installed the java 6 package from the repositories, as root:

> apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

I've located the libjavaplugin_oji.so plugin and created a shortcut in my
/usr/lib/firefox/plugins directory:

/usr/lib/firefox/plugins> ln -s
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

I've checked that the link works and isn't broken. The plugin has r_x
permissions for ROW.

If I restart firefox (no other instances running) and look at about:plugins,
java isn't listed. Pages requiring the plugin don't work.

What  have I missed?

TIA

Neil