[sclug] sclug Digest, Vol 99, Issue 1

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 11 13:27:37 UTC 2011

My approach too. A principle of this project (for me) is to use equipment I
already have if possible, and I already have a very good turntable (a Rega
Planar III with Ortofon cartridge) and amp (Armstrong), and frankly the
quality eclipses anything I have seen in the USB turntable line. My only
stumbling block is that the amp doesn't have a line-out feed, and the
pre-amp tape-out signal is a somewhat lower level than line so I need some
more gain. It looks like I am going to have to introduce a simple voltage
amplifier between amp tape-out and soundcard line-in, unless someone can
suggest how I might 'digitally' amplify the captured ogg or mp3 data? I
have tried with Audacity but the 'amplify' plugin didn't seem to have much
(if any) effect.

Neil.