[sclug] CUPS problem

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 20 19:10:36 UTC 2011

Good day.

I am trying to install a new printer on my Debian 6 box. (I already have one
printer installed, which I did when it was a Deb 5 box)

I am installing it through CUPS Admin using my browser, but the experience
is the same if I do so using the usual 'Add Printer' facility under
System>Administration>Printers. I get to the end of the installation
process, and get the following message:

"401 Unauthorized
Enter your username and password or the root username and password to access
this page. If you are using Kerberos authentication, make sure you have a
valid Kerberos ticket. "

I don't get an opportunity to enter any credentials, and even if I start my
browser as root I get the same error.

So what am I doing wrong, or is this an FU'd distro? Debian 5 didn't have
this problem for me.

Can anyone help?

TIA

Neil.