[sclug] Ghost HDD

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Jul 26 11:25:02 UTC 2011

Steve wrote:
> Basically the easiest way is to boot into a live cd and do a
> dd if=/dev/sda of=/mnt/usbdrive/hd.img .
> This will take a copy of the hard drive and copy to external disk.

You may also want to look at ntfsclone (in the ntfs-3g Debian package).
It's intelligent enough to understand the NTFS file system and only copy
sectors which are used. You end up with an disk image that's identical
to the above dd, but which occupies vastly less space (the unused parts
of the image contain holes).

--
? "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my