[sclug] NAS

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Nov 3 15:35:28 UTC 2011

Neil Haughton wrote:
[...]
> for somewhat less. Just two mirrored drives would do me, FreeNAS probably
> as the OS (unless there are other Linuxy recommendations), and an Ethernet
> port so it can plug into my router. Must be able to reuse my current SATA
> drive, and must be able to stay on for long periods without burning up my
> paltry salary so a low power processor essential.

If you're willing to bodge it a little, and use USB to connect to your
drives, the Raspberry Pi Model B should do what you want --- 700MHz ARM,
256MB RAM, 100Mbps ethernet, $35 (priced in dollars, sold in the UK):

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Should be shipping in a few weeks. Although you'll need a USB hub and
two USB/SATA converters, which will affect performance. Software-wise,
put Debian and use NFS or Samba. Power consumption is effectively nil.

--
? "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my