[sclug] [OT] Where does apt keep its list of installed software?

Ian Park i.d.c.park at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 25 14:16:33 UTC 2011

Hi all

I'm afraid I've rather sawn off the branch I was sitting on...

I updated my Acer Aspire One to the latest version of Ubuntu ("Oneiric
Ocelot", v11.10) and found that I could no longer boot into the classic
Ubuntu interface(I dislike Unity). I made the mistake of applying some
tweaks to get back to the classic Gnome interface and re-booted, only to
find that it now hangs at the Ubuntu splash screen. I'd more or less
made up my mind to install Debian Squeeze and junk Ubuntu, but I really
want to back up the list of apps I'd installed. All the searching I've
done has led me to instructions on how to use apt-get or Synaptic to
produce a list of installed software, but that isn't a lot of help if I
can't boot into the Ubuntu system...

I have a USB CD writer/DVD reader drive, so I've been able to boot a
live version of Debian, but the problem is I don't know where to find
the file in the Ubuntu filesystem which stores the list of installed
software. Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance for any help

Ian
--