[sclug] Web Application Firewall

Graham Swallow lists at information-cascade.co.uk
Thu Sep 29 18:07:56 UTC 2011

I get the digestified version,
so it is already past the end of tomorrow.

To proxy each web request, would take a long time to develop.
The web server code needs to be reviewed end-to-end and do it itself.
A second, similar filter is a good idea, but not overnight.

Maybe the person who asked did a 'mixed-metaphor' request,
and wants with a TCP/IP firewall for a web application.

Thats a lot simpler, with port 80, 443, and not much else,
all basic ITP rules, personally I like the 'established' module-rule,
inparticular nothing outgoing (DNS). That would protect the web
server from being hacked in ways other than the web service itself.
IE something that an IIS server would need.

Graham

Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:17:54 +0100
> From: Sapan Ganguly <sapan.ganguly at gmail.com>
> Subject: [sclug] Web Application Firewall?

is that I've been told that I need to provide a web application firewall by