[sclug] The competition

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Feb 9 11:35:04 UTC 2012

Talking about non-Linux systems yesterday... (I'm ignoring the BSDs, as
being modern, serious, useful operating systems they're not very
interesting.)

Haiku --- aka BeOS, the Next Generation!
https://www.haiku-os.org/
A very elegant, lightweight single-user OS with a thoroughly familiar
Posix command line. Supports WEP but no WPA yet. Needs at least 96MB of RAM.

Syllable --- similar, but different.
http://web.syllable.org/Syllable/index.html
Never used this, don't know what it's like. Allegedly even smaller, and
will run in 32MB of RAM.

ReactOS --- GPL Windows!
http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html
A GPL reimplementation of Windows. I suppose that's a good thing if you
like Windows.

Minix 2 --- as old as old school gets
http://minix1.woodhull.com/current/2.0.4/
Andy Tanenbaum's famous Unixoid. Very hardcore, but will run in
staggeringly small systems --- there's even a version that will run on
8086 XT PCs (it's worth a try just for novelty value). Very, very
limited driver support.

There are others --- Amoeba? Inferno? Plan 9? But they're *really*
weird. And I still haven't found a source for Microsoft Xenix yet...

--
? "I have always wished for my computer to be as easy to use as my