[sclug] Rooting my Android phone

Ms. C. Black ycyrffgroupie at gmail.com
Fri May 4 15:12:33 UTC 2012

On 4 May 2012 14:52, Liam Flanagan <liamflan at gmail.com> wrote:

> >  Like in a Linux, you don't use the root account for day to day things -
> > so wouldn't android work in the same way?
>

> Rooting an android device doesn't run everything as root, it simply allows
> 3rd party applications to ask for and gain elevated privileges. At least on
> my rooted device I have explicitly allow elevated privileges to
> applications as they want / need it... Just like in Linux.

So works like in Ubuntu, for example when need to change date and time you
are prompted for root's password and only that program has root privilege
and nothing else. Sorry for using Ubuntu as example but it the distro I use
the most given my work machine runs Linux and my netbook. It been so long
since I used openSuse (given up with openSuse).