[sclug] High Wycombe LUG meet

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Mon Aug 5 21:14:47 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 21:23:54 +0100, Gareth France wrote:
: On 03/08/13 20:12, Jonathan Steel wrote:
: >On Sat 03 Aug 2013 at 17:09, Gareth France wrote:
: >>Hi everyone, I know I've spoken about this before and received mixed
: >>results but I really would like to give it a try.

[...]

: I find it rather disappointing that I've only had one reply to this.

I think the problem is, given the current location of SCLUG being Reading,
and the number of people in and around the town that this list addresses,
people in other locations -- or locations not within a trivial train
journey from it -- are underrepresented.

: Firstly I would hope for some sort of constructive comments from
: everyone whether they would attend or not.

I live in Charvil.  Driving, Wycombe is about half an hour away, and
the Back of Beyond in Reading about 20 minutes.  But if drinking,
driving's out.  Obviously.  So sorry, I won't be attending.

Public transport makes a huge difference if you're pubbing.  And there
isn't any between the A4 and Wycombe after about 18:00.

: But secondly the fact
: only one other person in the Wycombe area is even paying attention
: to this list really does show there is a need for it in this area.

I agree.

: Could I please have some sort of feedback on how I go about setting
: up a meet with only 1 other confirmed attendee. I know it would work
: great once it's going, I just have a fear that the first meet could
: well end up being just me!

*I* think the thing to do is to find other groups around the locale that
are also underrepresented by us in Reading, and try to recruit them.  I'm
no expert, however[0].

Your first email seemed to imply that you didn't want to tread on
anybody's toes by starting a rival group 'in our territory' -- as it were
-- but you've seen what we're like, and in all honesty if anyone really
did complain I'd write them off as in need of a drink :-)

The more the better, if you ask me.

[0] I get told where I'm drinking and when, and I usually manage to turn
up roughly on time.  I leave it to someone else to organise the actual
details.

Dickon Hood
--
Due to the release of iOS 6 Maps, my .signature is temporarily lost.  Normal
service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the

This email was sent from a colocated server, and needs no excuses.