[sclug] Googlemail issue on Debian

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Tue Jan 15 13:36:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013, Neil Haughton wrote:

> Houston, I have a problem.
>
> Debian Squeeze:
>
> For no obvious reason, I can suddenly no longer connect to GoogleMail on my
> home box, using any browser of choice. It's not an obvious networking issue
> per se because I can browse almost anywhere else I choose, and I can use
> Googlemail on my smartphone over the same router using a WiFi connection. I
> haven't changed any configuration settings myself, but I notice that Debian
> updates no longer work (I get an error message whenever I try to download
> and install the suggested updates - something about a malformed something
> or other). These two issues may be related - but does anyone have any ideas
> why this should be so? My main concern is the GoogleMail issue because my
> wife is tearing her (and my) hair out as a result. ("This never happened
> when we had Windows!", etc etc :-)).
>
> Any useful suggestions appreciated. BTW I can't ping mail.google.com  and
> traceroute fails to reach it as well, if that helps.

What happens when you try?

What if you add the -n parameter to traceroute?

What if you add the -I parameter to traceroute?

What if you set your network interface's MTU to 576 (e.g. /sbin/ifconfig
eth0 mtu 576 )?

Which ISP are you with?

> TIA
> Neil

Best Regards
Alex

P.S. Please trim your messages of irrelevant quoted material.