[sclug] Free SSD and netbook (RG4 5LD)

Ciaran McHale ciaran_mchale at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 14:43:12 UTC 2013

I have two items to give away.

The first item is an old netbook. It is an Advent 4211,
which is a clone of the original MSI Wind U100:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MSI_Wind_Netbook

The machine's specifications are as follows...

1024x600 dpi display, 1GB RAM, 80GB disk, VGA, ethernet,
audio, 3 USB 2.0 ports, Wi-Fi. The original Windows XP
has been wiped from it and Linux Mint 15 is currently
installed on it. The machine comes with two batteries:
the original one that gave about 1.5 or 2 hours, and a
larger one that gave about 6 hours. I don't know what
condition either battery is in.

The second item is a brand new, 2.5 inch SanDisk 128GB SSD.
The writing on it states it is SATA 6 G/sec, +5.0V DC, 1.6A.
The only complication is that this SSD drive is currently
embedded in a dead laptop (an Acer Aspire Timeline 1810tz),
so you will have to extract the SSD from the dead laptop.
(In case anyone is interested why I have a brand new SSD in
a dead laptop... When the laptop died, I assumed it was that
the disk drive had died, so I asked a repair shop to replace
the disk drive with an SSD. They did so. When I received back
the laptop, I tried to install Linux on it from a flash drive.
During the first boot, the SSD was not recognised at all.
When I rebooted it again, the machine did nothing at all: I
didn't even see the BIOS splash screen. So it looks like it was
the motherboard rather than the disk drive that had died.)

If you want one or both items, then email me a contact
telephone number and days/times you can collect them item(s)
this week. I live on the Lower Henley Road in Caversham
(RG4 5LD).

Regards,
Ciaran.
--
Ciaran McHale (ciaran_mchale at yahoo.co.uk) www.CiaranMcHale.com
Mobile: +44-(0)7866-416-134 Home office: +44-(0)118-327-9847