[sclug] Firewall question

Neil Haughton haughtonomous at googlemail.com
Wed May 1 14:15:52 UTC 2013

Hi Alex,

I'm not sure if it does help what I trying to understand. If you are able
to answer the last part of my question, namely

"...does the application itself (I'm thinking a web app) need to know about
the app firewall, or provide special hooks or anything like that? Can I
take an arbitrary web app, for example, say "FooApp", and shove an
arbitrary app firewall, say "Bar App Firewall 2013", in front of it, and
with suitable configuration expect the app firewall to protect the web app?"

it will be more helpful. I am trying to ascertain whether our particular
web app product would need to be modified if the customer wants to use it
in conjuction with an "app firewall" . or is the app firewall simply
something sitting between a web app and the outside world, that does not
care what the web app is or does?

TIA

Neil