[sclug] Floppy drives

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 21:56:24 UTC 2013

A big thanks to David for the IBM PC110 he brought along to the last
meet. The topic of floppy drive access in linux came up as a result and
I was adamant that USB floppy drives don't mount correctly and haven't
for several years now. I'm very happy to say that this no longer appears
to be the case.

Floppy disks are now accessable on my laptop using ubuntu 13.10,
although they aren't formattable. It was recommended that I use
ufiformat for this but though the resulting disks were readable in
ubuntu the files were scrambled when accessed through dos.

My eventual solution was to format the disks using the PC110 before
copying the required software off my linux install. I now have a fully
working system and just need to find a use for it!