[sclug] Recommendation for Laptop for Linux

alan c aeclist at candt.waitrose.com
Thu Dec 11 23:17:38 UTC 2014

On 07/12/14 15:41, Neil Haughton wrote:
> [...]

I used them for friends a few times and they were *excellent*, though
as you suggest, I thought their excellence, and the time spent for
customers was probably not probably being covered profitably.

> FWIW I have had good experiences with Zoomstorm. I bought a Zoomstorm
> machine sans OS for work as a server and installed W7 on it, and it just
> sits there and works 24x7. I have an OS-free desktop machine from them at
> home which came with 8GB memory and a 1TB near-silent hard drive and I have
> installed an SSD and several successive Mint versions (17 now) on that, and
> it "just works" too. Fast, too - boot to logged-in in a few tens of
> seconds. My only complaint is that I can't 'see' various cell phones,
> cameras or non-Linux music players connected directly via USB. Flash
> drives, memory cards and other USB devices such as external hard drives
> have no problem though. That's probably a general Linux problem, not the
> hardware itself, I'm guessing.
> Neil.

Desktop PCs are no problem to get , many places. However, laptops,
with the components being less standardised, are a serious problem, if
avoidance of a pre installed Windows OS is really a factor. It is for
me. System76 is USA based, and is tempting, being kept well in mind.
Dell and HP - both are slated variously to be approved and sell Ubuntu
pre installed, but I never seem to have much real retail availability.
The EBuyer HP laptop was good, a friend bought one, though it was a
low priced, low end machine.
--
alan cocks