[sclug] O'reilly free book Linux Device Drivers, 4th Edition

ed ed at s5h.net
Thu Feb 27 18:54:38 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 05:03:14PM +0000, Graham wrote:
> Its not an ebook, its a pdf, the same as the book.
> That means its not all that fantastic on the screen,
> so much so, I shall probably never read it :-(
>
> Linux Device Drivers, 4th Edition
> http://systemadministratorgroup.tradepub.com/free/w_orei01/prgm.cgi
> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030867.do

Hi Graham,

Thanks for sharing that link, I have the dead tree version purchased
somewhere around 2006-2008? I've read through it, it cost a bomb at the
time, probably still does. I've retained next to nothing. Had wanted to
get into some kernel hacking but just about everything is done now
(compared to early 2000's when very little worked) its quite rare (at
least for me) to come across hardware that's unsupported.

There are some blogs out there where people have documented how they got
into kernel hacking that could also be worth a read for anyone who is
interested, here's one:

  http://jvns.ca/blog/2014/01/04/4-paths-to-being-a-kernel-hacker

As mentioned in the above link, there's the kernel newbies group, but
there is also the kernel janitors project for fixing up TODOs and such,
so that's worth reading too.

Apologies for my drivel above.

--
Best regards,