[sclug] Lost in modern programming, help needed

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 18:31:48 UTC 2015

I have been programming for about 30 years on and off. My skills are
limited and I don't  think my methods are as tidy as they could be. It
is only recently I began dragging my skills into the 21st century and
moving on from Quick Basic, I have found Python and Perl to be quite
comfortable but I am having real issues with some elements of modern
programming.

I'm finding it near impossible to get help online as all those in the
know seem to 'close ranks' as soon as I start asking questions and I
think perhaps they find it difficult to talk to a dinosaur such as
myself as it is like listening to a foreign language!

I am now trying to look at the new methodology behind the Ubuntu Phone,
Canonical seem to have a very clear image of what they want to achieve,
with guidelines in place to cover the interface, design choices and
colours of your app. There is a set of tools in place for design and
build and of course their own systems for publishing. However all of
this is rather daunting to someone who has previously been trapped in a
text only world.

Is there a member of the group who would be willing and able to spend a
little time with me to build a simple app in order to better understand
how it is meant to be done? At the moment I have all the tools but it
seems that nobody has prepared answers for the questions which
immediately spring to mind when I try to get started.

If anyone could help me I'd be eternally grateful.

Gareth