[sclug] Ubuntu packaging help

Philip Hands phil at hands.com
Thu Mar 26 20:44:13 UTC 2015

"Leon Ward (leonward)" <leonward at cisco.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I?m trying to work on packaging for a couple of projects and I?ve got
> a bunch of questions. Quite frankly I?m trying to work out where to
> start (yes I?ve read the Ubuntu packaging guide) and good some
> practice advice.

This might help:

  https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/packaging-tutorial/packaging-tutorial

and this:

  https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/first.en.html

(both Debian rather than Ubuntu, but should mostly apply, and any
differences you find might help if you want to push your work upstream
eventually)

Oh, and, CDBS is evil -- don't touch it

Other things to look out for pbuilder and cowbuilder, and
git-buildpackage (or perhaps bzr-builddeb if you've not yet noticed
that bzr is dead ;-) )

HTH

Cheers, Phil.