[sclug] Fwd: [lugmaster] Seeking new sponsors and donations for Slackware UK.

Stuart Ward stuart.ward.uk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 21:43:17 UTC 2021

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[lugmaster] Seeking new sponsors and donations for Slackware UK.
Date: 	Mon, 19 Apr 2021 22:02:04 +0100
From: 	Darren 'Tadgy' Austin <lists at afterdark.org.uk>
To: 	A closed discussion list for UK LUGMasters.
<lugmaster at mailman.lug.org.uk>

I'd appreciate it if you could forward this onto your LUGs - thanks!

Hi,
Some of you in the Slackware Linux community may know me already, but
others may not - I'm Darren 'Tadgy' Austin and I operate the Slackware
UK [https://slackware.uk/] mirror and hosting service specifically
targeted at the Slackware Linux [https://slackware.com/] community.

The service has been running for over 10 years now, with sponsorship and
support from a private company in the UK, File Away Limited
[https://www.file-away.co.uk/], who I have to thank for their unwavering
support over this time - I couldn't have continued the service without
their help.

File Away's support has allowed the service to grow and grow to what it
is today. From simply offering a mirror of Slackware Linux at the end of
a 2MB SDSL connection, to also offering free hosting of projects on
dedicated servers with Gigabit connectivity for all things Slackware!

I would like to think Slackware UK has grown to be one of the largest
repositories of Slackware related projects and files on the internet -
in fact, I cannot think of anywhere else that provides access to so many
resources in one location.

But Slackware UK isn't just about mirroring software that you can find
elsewhere on the internet - I offer free full file hosting to Slackware
related projects, distributions and package maintainers. There are
several projects which utilise Slackware UK as their primary hosting
solution; including SlackwareARM [https://arm.slackware.com/] and
SlackwareARM for the Raspberry Pi (SARPi) [https://sarpi.penthux.net/],
Absolute Linux [https://www.absolutelinux.org/], Freeslack
[http://freeslack.net/], Slint [https://slint.fr/], Cinnamon SlackBuild
(CSB) [https://cinnamonslackbuilds.github.io/] and MATE SlackBuild (MSB)
[https://mateslackbuilds.github.io/], to name but a few. I also offer a
mirror of the entire Slackware Linux trees as well as packages provided
by the Slackware core dev team members alienBOB (Eric Hameleers) and
rworkman (Robby Workman). I also maintain an in-house cumulative archive
(thanks to alienBOB for the bootstrap) of all packages distributed since
the very first release of Slackware64.

As I mentioned before, the service has been supported for many years by
File Away Limited. However, recently and unfortunately, I have had word
from File Away that they may no longer be able to continue funding
(paying the bills!) of the main Slackware UK server after this years
contract with the dedicated server provider ends. Obviously this could
be a blow to the continued availability of the service going forward.

So, why am I reaching out to the community?

The primary reason is to try and find sponsors who may like to provide
funding for the Slackware UK services in order to keep this valuable and
widely used project operational. If you know of, or perhaps work for, a
company who may be inclined to support a project like Slackware UK with
sponsorship or donations to the cause, please, please either pass their
details to me so I can make a direct approach, or facilitate an
introduction between us yourself?

Finding new sponsors who can financially support the project would be
fantastic - especially if those sponsors already have something to do
with Slackware (using it in their products or company, or regularly use
one of the projects hosted on Slackware UK, perhaps?).

However, If you cannot help by providing a contact or introduction, that
brings me onto the second objective of this approach: donations or
patronage.

If you would like to contribute to the cause but don't have any contacts
to offer, please consider a donation, if you have the means?
I currently have a GoFundMe fundraiser [https://gofund.me/87934ce3]
running, with the goal of bringing in enough donations to see the
project through the next 3 years of operation. But I do understand this
may be a lofty goal and you may wish to show your support with a one off
PayPal payment [https://paypal.me/DonateToSlackwareUK] or a continuing
patronage through Patreon [https://patreon.com/SlackwareUK]. Any
donations are gratefully received and every little bit helps :)

Finally, I would appreciate it if you could spread this message through
your circle of contacts, be that a group you are involved with (a LUG,
Facebook group, etc.) a mailing list, or any other personal contacts far
and wide.

Please note that all donations and sponsorship are kept strictly for the
use of services provided by Slackware UK, in a seperate bank account. I
do not profit or take any sort of payment for running the service.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and any bit of support you
can offer!

Darren Austin.