[sclug] Which pub for SCLUG

Ed Neville ed at s5h.net
Mon Feb 28 08:13:59 UTC 2022

On 2022-02-28 07:37+0000, Mark De Souza-Wilson via Sclug wrote:
> I intend to send out an unbiased survey shortly, so that SCLUG members
> can can indicate which venues they feel would meet the needs of the
> group.  I'm keen to achieve the right result for the group, and to
> separate the choice of venue from political feelings linked to the
> 2016 Brexit Referendum.

Something I have come to realise, there are things we can control and
things we can't control. Changing the venue to diver profit from a
Brexit backing organisation may be futile since we can't control which
organisations are on tap elsewhere. Or even the inverse may be true,
perhaps the micro breweries on tap at Back of Beyond (BoB) were
anti-brexit. Who knows? What about the kitchen food supply, is that from
farmers who opposed brexit?

What we do know is that BoB was successful, what we don't know is if
something closer to the station would be more successful.

I suspect a survey at this point may only collect values from people who
have at some point in the past been and have hung around on the mail
because BoB is a known quantity, those who said "no way" may not be
available to survey. Suggesting this doesn't help my personal bias.

Maybe the survey should be on the web page with a text area for people
to submit their preference. We'd need some form of sign on to decrease
duplicates... it's getting out of hand already!

In the end, I think BoB, although a little far from the station, is a
weather spoons and, like Mc Donald's, people know what the food will be
like, so if they're unfamiliar with the area, they know what they'll be
served. On the surface, people may not like it, but they do know what it
is and that probably works in the venues favour.

Ed