[Scottish] [OT] Need an ISP

Michael Cameron scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Aug 27 23:18:00 2002

Well its a business line so I don't really know what it costs (its billed
centrally).  You have to pay BT (no surprise I'm sure) for rental but I
believe this is now less than getting a 2nd line and you get some call
allowances included in the rental.  ISP costs £30, varies depending on
package, e.g. £10 for a "redeye special" up to £140 for a dedicated port
(which is a lot cheaper than its closest equivalent, getting a leased line).
Throughput of ~15 Kilobytes/sec (bi-directional) is normal when using both
channels (i.e 128Kbps really gives 128Kbps). The speed difference is
obviously not as great as broadband but I don't know anyone using 128K ISDN
instead of BB.  There is the advantage of dial up normally taking less than
1 second (and without the lovely tones of a squeekbox modem too).  If you
have more than 1 user in the house and/or a small network it makes a lot of
sense.  You can generally use 64K ISDN dialup with most ISPs bog standard
unmetered accounts.  Dialup is cheaper but if you get that 2nd line I think
ISDN might turn out more cost effective.