[Scottish] Strange DNS problem

Ben Thorp scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 29 12:31:00 2002

This time round I tried to ping the 3 nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf - 2
from ntlworld, 1 from freenetname - and none of them were responding to a
ping: 100% packet loss. I also looked in /var/log/messages and a couple of
other places, but couldn't see much unusual (or rather, that I recognised
as unusual ;o)

It's probably time I upgraded to Slack 8.1 anyway.

mrBen

                      colin@wew.co.uk
                      Sent by:                      To:       scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk
                      scottish-admin@mailman        cc:
                      .lug.org.uk                   Subject:  RE: [Scottish] Strange DNS problem

                      29/08/02 12:03
                      Please respond to
                      scottish

andrew wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 29, 2002 at 11:39:17AM +0100, Ben Thorp wrote:
>> This month I
>> have been running Firestarter firewall, but last month I didn't even
know
>> about it. Other than that, everything is the same. And the problem
resolved

> Ah, that firewall only works with prodigy internet :-)

Ouch.

I assume no indication of port 53 packets getting blocked in the kernel
log?

Maybe it's just random weirdness, Ben, but I'd be tempted to note down a
few key IP addresses (dotted quads, e.g. nameservers, systems which will
respond to pings on your ISPs subnet, systems beyonfd that) to test it
out if it goes down again next month.

HTH

Colin