[Scottish] Strange DNS problem

Ben Thorp scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Thu Aug 29 14:06:02 2002

>You say DNS outage but I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion.

Because I don't know what I talking about :o(

>Were
>you able to resolve names to IP addresses and then unable to reach those
>addresses?

I was not able to ping addresses. First time round I thought the DNS was
out because I couldn't ping the IP address of the server, but this time I
realised that I couldn't ping any of the DNS addresses I had.

>If so this would not be a DNS failure but sounds more like a
>routing problem.  Or were you unable to resolve names but could reach any
>(previously known) IP addresses?  This would be a DNS outage and if you
use
>names for mail/ping/web then would obviously mean you could not reach
those
>services (but only because you didn't know the address.  How this would
>occur if you had 3 DNS servers configured is strange, if one was not
>responding then the others whould be used.

>Why the 27th of each month?  Why
>not?  Maybe they update user accounts on a monthly basis and it is not a
>transparent process, who knows.

Remember - now been using 2 ISP (+Freeserve as a test) and none worked.

The only thought in my mind was the fact that 27 is the biggest positive
number for a signed 5-bit binary word (-28 to +27 if I remember correctly)
but this seemed a little far fetched.

>MC

Ben