[Scottish] HTML templating software?

Colin McKinnon scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 09:04:01 2002

David Marsh's list-reading hat wrote:

>I've been doing a bit of searching around of late to see if there are
>useful Linux-based tools that I could use in order to help writing the
>site, using 'templates' (ie, common themes for pages, including basic
>layout, navigation bars, etc, such that I can change the template and
>have the appearance of the whole site change in one easy go).

I've just started looking for a CMS for a project I'm working on - the
object here is to make publishing idiot-proof but allowing for lots of
headroom (particularly, custom written PHP scripts, and a picture
gallery). Just about everything I've seen uses smarts on the server
(PHP, Perl, Zope...) but that doesn't necessarily stop you from building
a site then using a site ripper (e.g. Pavuk or getleft) to copy it to
static html.

So far I've had a brief look at:
http://www.aegir-cms.org/
    based on MidGuard, wysiawyg editor (activeX). Production control
oriented

http://developer.ez.no/
    GPL and commercial, wysiawyg editor ($59) but probably overkill

http://www.ampoliros.com/projects/web/magellan/#
    CPL, medium sophistication but good structure and UI

http://phpreactor.org/articles/
    simple blog with polls

http://www.phpx.org/
    another blog type, easy admin facilities

http://www.plone.org/
    polished blog with tools, but based on zope

http://freshmeat.net/projects/safari/?topic_id=897
    Perl CMS, basic but skewed towards periodic issues

http://www.phpnuke.org/
    PHP based portal system. Modular. lots of add-ins (chat, mail, rss,
polls, ....). Sophisticated.

Although I've not delved too deeply yet, in most cases, building the
templates and developing code which fits in with the native
authentication / sessions stuff looks like a lot more effort than if it
were just a single page - but of course you do get the benefits of re-use.

Meanwhile I'll be watching this thread with interest.

HTH

Colin