[Scottish] HTML templating software?

Aidan Skinner scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Dec 3 14:31:00 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-02 at 22:53, David Marsh's list-reading hat wrote:

> I've been doing a bit of searching around of late to see if there are
> useful Linux-based tools that I could use in order to help writing the
> site, using 'templates' (ie, common themes for pages, including basic
> layout, navigation bars, etc, such that I can change the template and
> have the appearance of the whole site change in one easy go).
>
> Most of the pages on my site will be static, so I'm looking for a tool
> that I use offline on my local machine to make each page as and when
> needed, and then upload changes to the server, rather than something
> which runs (and stores all my data) server-side.

I use xml and xslt for my personal site, tied together with xsltproc
(which you probably have installed already) and make. Static, standards
based and with magic of ssh keys uploading is a matter of make update
(which does throw the whole site up, but it's over ethernet so I don't
really care)

I tried writing it in php once, but it was too much effort.

- Aidan