[Scottish] This Mailing List

scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Fri Dec 6 10:55:01 2002

> I am toying with the idea of splitting the list into two or possibly th=
ree.
> 1) slug-announce list  -- low traffic with mostly just the formal notif=
ication =

> of the monthly meeting and any other "announcements"

I like this idea, this list should be moderated and be low traffic so I t=
hink =

some people will just want to join this one so they can get official noti=
ce of =

meetings and other events.

> 2) slug-chat  -- medium traffic the standard mailinglist stuff
> =

> and possibly 3) slug-off-topic  scurrilous rumours and cars for sale et=

I don't like this idea. Threads tend to drift on and off topic, and havin=
g =

threads go across two different mailing lists would be tricky. Also the =

definition of Off-Topic is unclear, is this list for Linux users in Scotl=
and, =

Open Source operating systems or Computers? Currently the list seems to b=
e for =

messages who would interest a significant proportion of the members of th=
e =

group and I like it that way.

Perhaps a policy requesting descriptive subject lines (and changing them =
if =

the topic of the thread changes,) so that people can ignore threads that =
are =

of no interest, would be better. Also perhaps requesting that messages no=
t =

related to Computing should be tagged by "[OT]" to allow automated filter=
ing.

Steven Murdoch.