[Scottish] Revisited: qmail or exim and AV

Tam McLaughlin scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Nov 12 15:55:00 2002

EximEximincomingI thought I would just update those who were interested i=
n=20
what I eventually decided to do in regards to upgrading our email server.=
=20

The problem:
We replaced our gauntlet firewall, which had sendmail and virus scanning =
of =20
emails with smoothwall corporate  server. This meant that I had to upgrad=
e=20
our internal qmail server to include anti-virus scanning and tighten the=20
anti-spam measures. I was  not sure whether to stick with qmail or  or wh=
at=20
anti-virus software to use.

The solution:
I installed  and had a look at it but decided to stick with qmail as we=20
already knew this and did not have a lot of time to get it up and running=
=2E=20
I ended up with qmail+qmail_scanner+mcafee uvscan+spamassasin and it's=20
all up and running without great difficulty.

I had difficulty getting prices for antivirus software for Linux but=20
discovered that we already had McAfee's "uvscan" on the CD which came wit=
h=20
our MS antivirus programs. The documentation even supplied a sample scrip=
t=20
and perl program to download the dat files each night which was easily=20
adaptable.=20

I considered installing everything by hand but decided it would be easier=
 all=20
round, especially documentation, to use the bigQ to automate most of the=20
installations. I did try qmail-the-easy-way script but this had too many=20
problems and found bigQ more robust as I tried the install a few times ju=
st=20
to be sure I knew what was going on.