[Scottish] OT: multiview boxes?

Darren Paxton scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Sat Nov 23 17:27:02 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Graeme Mathieson" <mathie+slug@wossname.org.uk>
To: <scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Saturday, November 23, 2002 1:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Scottish] OT: multiview boxes?

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 12:42:57PM -0000, Paxton, Darren wrote:
> >
> > Thinking of buying an omniview type box - just looking to know where I
can
> > get one relatively cheap and cheerful without wires (since I've already
> > acquired two full cables).
>
> The Belkin Omniviews are not popular with the developers around here[1].
> They (in their infinite wisdom) decided to make the monitor ports on the
> back of the KVM switch the wrong gender so you have to buy their cables.
> Or go to Maplin and buy some gender changers if you've already bought
> the wrong cables.
>
> And they beep when you change console.  That gets slightly annoying when
> you've got a room full of 'em.  Then again, most of our developers talk
> to themselves[2] on the phone all day.  I wear headphones.
>
> I'd recommend the Adderview ones instead.
>
> Actually, on that note, I'm looking for a KVM switch that will switch 2
> consoles to any of 8 systems, one of which will be Sun Sparc, not x86.
> Any recommendations?
>
> [1] AKA I get stuck with them in the server room and test lab instead.
> [2] No, really.  Voice over IP is their thing.
> --
> Right now, there are scr1pt k1dd13s plotting to DDoS my network, my co-lo
> server is not responding  to pings and  the people that I IRC with may be
> involved in both.  I'm  sysadmin Graeme Mathieson and this is the longest
> day of my life.                       http://www.wossname.org.uk/~mathie/

Thanks for the feedback Graeme, just got it after I've been out and bought a
Belkin Omniview 2 switch from Infiniti (55 quid which i thought was
reasonable)

The beeping I can see may get annoying, but i wont be using it all that much
and I'll probably end up installing it in work for my workstatin instead and
if anyone complains "its for the good of the systems"

Cheers

Darren