[Scottish] Computing Power debate

scottish@mailman.lug.org.uk scottish at mailman.lug.org.uk
Tue Oct 1 09:19:01 2002

aidan wrote:

> Three things:
>
> 1. C is /still/ the most used programming language, for god only knows
> what reason, and you don't get muhch lower level than semi-portable
> asm.

>From what I can see here C++ seems unduly popular for writing GUI apps.
Leaving aside the issues related to that particular language, the
development environments for OO systems can lead to a lot of redundancy
in the package. Particularly when using standard widget sets. ISR Donald
Knuth had a lot to say on the subject a few years ago.

On the other hand, I agree that there are a lot of issues with the
quality of coding these days - is IT too accessible?

If I were really cynical I could point out that it ties the user into
hardware-OS-application upgrade spirals. But I'm not. So I won't.

Colin